7/14/11 Host family stay and Ulmer Munster Cathedral

Today we woke up at 6:30 am to go to Annika's school.  Dagmar asked me what I normally had for breakfast and when I told her cereal, she seemed surprised!  We had cereal for breakfast.  Dagmar packed mini nectarines for us for a snack to have at school and then drove us to school.  I was really nervous and thought it would be more strict than my school, but it wasn't.  We had French, German, and English classes.  It was kind of boring because everyone spoke in German or French.  During part of the time we got to use the computer.  The school computers didn't block access to Facebook, so this is when I found out that my new cousin, Stella Mae, was born!  I was pretty excited about that.  This is the picture that my mom emailed to me.  She is adorable!!
Annika's school was different from my school
  • No lunch there
  • It was much bigger
  • There were more grade levels there
  • They didn't have as much technology
  • They had CHALK BOARDS!
  • The day seemed shorter than our school at home
  • They go to school all year round
  • Instead of students rotating from class to class, the teachers rotated
Dagmar picked us up from school and we went home to have lunch.  For lunch we had noodles, lentils, and sausage.  Dagmar is a great cook!  Later in the afternoon we were going out site seeing.  Before we left I took some pictures of the house.  It was very nice.  It had 3 stories, 3 bathrooms, and at least 4 bedrooms.

Annika and me
 Leonard at the kitchen table.  He's nine and doesn't speak any English
 Outside of the house
 One of their two cars
 The front door.  They put up a welcome sign for me and Mercedes (she ended up staying with a different family though)

 The bathroom.  The white square on the wall is how you flush the toilet.

 The backyard was big by German standards, but small compared to my yard.

 They had cool modern furniture that I liked
 Annika's room.  I slept in the bed on the right.
We headed out to see the Ulmer Munster Cathedral.  Here are some stores I saw while we were walking to the cathedral.

Harald came from work and met us at the cathedral.  It was REALLY big.  It is the tallest cathedral in the world. 











We climbed all of the stairs to the very top.  I believe there were around 700-900 stairs.  I can't remember the exact amount.  My friend Savannah counted them when she went there with her host family though! I think it took about half an hour to make it all the way to the top.
 

The steps
I took a picture of a fountain at the street level.  I tried to take pictures of it every so often to show how high we went.




fountain from the top
The view from the top was gorgeous!











Once we got to the bottom, we went into the cathedral.  At the exact moment we entered, by coincidence, this band started to play music.
What was most impressive for me were the stained glass windows.  I am in love with them.  They are amazingly beautiful!  I wish I had gotten better pictures.


 and the art too
In the cathedral you could pay money and light a candle.  When you lit the candle you could make a wish.  I wished that Stella Mae would have a long and happy life.  My candle is the one in front.



When we got back to the Brosch's house, we had a light dinner of bread, meat, and cheese.  I love cheese!

and then bedtime.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment